Home › magazine › latest news › Study reveals hygiene risks of high chairs
Study reveals hygiene risks of high chairs25th of November 2010
A study published last month in the US suggests that baby high chairs – such as those found in restaurants – harbour more bacteria than the average public toilet seat.
When testing high chairs in 30 different US restaurants, researchers found the average number of bacteria was 147 per square centimetre, compared to only eight for a toilet seat. The bacteria uncovered included E. coli, Staphylococcus aureus, and Enterococcus faecalis, all of which can be health-threatening.
Microban, maker of antibacterial products, conducted the research. It said the amount
of bacteria found on the high chairs varied, with concentrations as high as 1,200 bacteria
Parents are now being warned to ensure high chairs are cleaned before use because of the risk that their child could become ill as a result of the germs lurking there.